Family Crisis Intervention Unit (FCIU)
The Family Crisis Intervention Unit is a county funded program within Harbor House, offering free counseling and case management services to Ocean County residents. Our counselors are trained and qualified to intervene in family crises, working with juveniles ages 10 to 18 years old and their families. At the Family Crisis Intervention Unit we aim to divert cases involving juvenile family crises from the courts by providing our families with the counseling, case management, and referral assistance needed to stabilize the immediate family crisis. Our counselors work to maintain a network of services and county agencies including police, schools, physicians, substance abuse services, and other juvenile agencies to coordinate services for our families.
- Individual, sibling, and family counseling
- On and off site services including crisis management at schools, police stations, and in-home
- Case management and referrals
- 24 Hour on-call services for families in crisis
- Court referrals in coordination with Juvenile/Family Court Intake after all FCIU and community services have been exhausted
Court approved, out-of-home placements are for extreme circumstances and require the FCIU office to prove that all other community resources have been exhausted before being presented in front of the judge.
A Juvenile Family Crisis is a behavior, conduct, or condition of a juvenile, or other family member which results in:
- A serious threat to the well-being and safety of the juvenile
- A serious conflict between a parent or guardian & juvenile regarding rules of conduct which has been exhibited by a repeated disregard for parental authority
- An unauthorized absence by a juvenile for more than 24 hours from his/her home
- A pattern of repeated, unauthorized absences from school
- An act if which committed by an adult would constitute prostitution or any offenses related to being a victim of human trafficking
- Additionally, FCIU can be utilized for diversion in cases including, but not limited to disorderly persons, sexting, or posting of sexual images by a juvenile.
|Eligibility||Youth between the ages of 10 and 18 and their families residing in Ocean County.|
Family & Support Services
Behavioral / Mental Health
Crisis / Safety
Last Updated: 10/13/20